A Christmas Night Murder in 1857
It was Christmas night 1857 and “peace on earth, good will toward men” was not in the air in the glass workers village of Sandwich’s Jarvesville. A 15-year-old lad named Daniel Fogarty Jr. would be murdered that night. . . more
Old Town Burying Ground Gets Restoration Work
Thirty-nine damaged and fallen gravestones in Sandwich’s oldest burying ground are getting professional restoration this fall. Work was begun in late September and is likely to continue into November, 2012 in a contract initiated by Jennifer Madden of the Historical Commission, with assistance from former commission member Kaethe Maguire and the cooperation of the Cemetery Commission. Funding for the project is split between the Cemetery Commission and Community Preservation Committee.
Historic Markers For Sandwich Homes
May 22, 2012 – The town of Sandwich is very fortunate to have hundreds of homes and buildings that date back to the 17th, 18th and 19thcenturies. They have been preserved by different owners over the centuries and they reflect the many building styles, including the Salt Boxes of the 1600’s; the Capes, Georgian Colonials, and Federal architecture of the 1700’s; and the Greek Revivals and Victorians of the 1800’s. To recognize and promote the unique character of the town, the Sandwich Historical Commission created the Historical Marker Program a few years ago.
It has been a great success as evidenced by the 116 signs that have been purchased by the owners of these antique structures. Moreover, the program continues to grow as more and more people complete marker applications. The plaques show the name of the original owner as well as the year of construction. If owners need help in researching their homes, assistance can be provided by the SHC. Learn more.
If you have any questions about the program, eligibility, or application please contact the program coordinator, William F. Daley: wfdaley[at]comcast.net
Historic Preservation in Sandwich MA
March 1, 2012 – The question of Historic Preservation Restrictions has become a story in Sandwich. Selectmen, regulators and residents have been asking what that means, how it happens and who makes it happen. There are two pdf documents that will answer many of your questions. Please read them and either download them or link to this page.
Sand Hill School: The Clark-Haddad Memorial Building
In 1851 a new 2 bay by 3 bay, 2-story, wood-frame building with a gable roof was erected at the corner of Factory Street and George’s Rock Road (16 Dewey Avenue). Known as the Jarvesville School, and later, the Sand Hill School, the building was replaced in 1885 with the current structure. It was built with a dividing wall down the middle and two entrance doors (gender-separated entrances were the custom at the time). After the school was closed, the building served as an American Legion Hall (starting in 1931) and as a gathering place for children and seniors. In 1950 the structure was re-named the Clark-Haddad Memorial Building for the first two Sandwich residents to die in military service during World War I: Alden Clark and Michael Haddad. The American Legion Post 188 moved to new quarters in 1972. Later, 16 Dewey Avenue was used as office space by the Sandwich Public Schools until 2007.
The building stands empty today and the Historical Commission wants to see this wonderful landmark returned to use while preserving its historic character. Come view the interior, attend the Forum and share your thoughts.
Click HERE for access to documents for the Forum.
From the Sandwich Broadsider, March 09, 2012:
Sandwich panel approves historical marker for Charles Burgess House
The Sandwich Historical Commission has approved an historical marker application for the Charles S. Burgess House at 166 Main Street, constructed in 1877.
Commission members said the house was built in “the General Grant style.” The only other similar structure, they said, is the old reconstructed parsonage at 14 School St..
Historical Commission Recommends Restoration of Historic Artesian Well
January 16, 2012 – Jonathan Shaw, the SHC’s representative to the Sandwich Community Preservation Committee, spearheaded the effort to proceed with funding for Phase II of the Town Hall Restoration Project. Guided by his experienced hand, the Commission sent a formal request to the Community Preservation Committee to secure $350,000.00 from special local funding set aside for historic preservation. The Board of Selectmen voted 4-0 to jointly request funding for the project. The issue will be on the May, 2012 Town Warrant for voter approval. Once approved, the project should go up for bid in August with construction beginning in the fall of 2012.