The Sandwich Historical Commission was established in 1971 to identify, document, preserve and protect the historic and archaeological assets of the town and to promote public awareness of the history of the Town of Sandwich.
The Commission consists of not less than 3 and not more than 7 full members and up to 7 alternates. The Board of Selectmen appoints fill members for staggered three-year terms and alternates for 1 year terms.
If you are interested in serving on this commission, please fill out a Talent Bank form.
The SHC is the local arm of the Massachusetts Historical Commission, established in 1963 “to identify, evaluate, and protect important historical and archaeological assets of the Commonwealth.” (MGL Ch. 9 Sections 27-32 enabling legislation)
The powers of the Sandwich Historical Commission are established by Massachusetts General Law, Part 1, Title VII; Chapter 40; Section 8D.
Sandwich Historical Commission
P. O. Box 1905
Sandwich, MA 02563
- Lisa Hassler, Chair, CPC representative, Sand Hill School Preservation
- Greg Anderson, Vice-Chair
- Ellen Carlson
- Carolyn Crowell
- Bill Daley, Historic Markers, 375th Celebration
- Jennifer Madden, Cemetery Preservation
- Amanda Haines
- Barbra Nadler
The commission is actively searching for new volunteers interested in joining the membership. We’re looking for men and women of all ages, backgrounds and education levels. The only membership qualification is a sincere interest in the discovery, documentation, and preservation of Sandwich’s historical assets of all kinds.
Come join us at a future meeting.
SHC meetings are open to the public. They are held on the first Wednesday of every month at 6:00 P.M. at:
142 Main Street
Sandwich, MA 02563
All meetings will be posted more than 48 hours in advance at the Town Hall Annex, 145 Main St., and online at the Town Clerk’s page.
Thanks to Sandwich Community TV, the Sandwich Historical Commission meetings are now being recorded on video so the public can view on demand. To view videos follow this link and click on Historical Commission
Sandwich Enterprise Editorial:
Historical Commission: A Champion For Sandwich’s Past
– Disclaimer: No endorsement is intended or made of any hypertext link, product, service, or information either by its inclusion or exclusion from this page or site. While all attempts are made to ensure the correctness and suitability of information under our control and to correct any errors brought to our attention, no representation or guarantee can be made as to the correctness or suitability of that information or any linked information presented, referenced, or implied. All critical information should be independently verified. This site is for research and education and not for commercial purposes.