Category Archives: History of Sandwich

Anything to do with natural or human history of Sandwich and environs.

Bird’s Eye View – The 1884 Poole Map

4 – Sandwich Card & Tag Co. 5 – G. Howland’s Lumber Yard 6 – Town Hall 7 – Sandwich Casino 8 – High School 10 – Sandwich Academy 14 – Novelty Block 15 – Central House 16 – Post … Continue reading

Posted in Articles, History of Sandwich, Maps | Leave a comment

Town Hall Through the Years

(Compiled by Don Bayley) In this John Warner Barber drawing from 1839, Town Hall, built in 1834, is prominently displayed. From Sandwich historian Russell Lovell: “This is the only view found showing the early Calvinistic chapel on the site of … Continue reading

Posted in Articles, History of Sandwich, Town Hall | Leave a comment

Aunt Sally and the Locust Grove Asylum

Skunks and racoons on the kitchen table? The house at 238 Route 6A, The Old King’s Highway, is falling down. It’s open to the weather and the rain just pours in. In a year or so, it may be gone. … Continue reading

Posted in Articles, History of Sandwich, Thornton Burgess | Leave a comment

The Sand Hill School

The area around the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company in Sandwich became known as Jarvesville, named after the factory’s founder, Deming Jarves. As the number of glass factory workers grew, the company built housing for them as well as a … Continue reading

Posted in Articles, Glass Factory, History of Sandwich | Leave a comment

A Brickyard at Town Neck

In the area known as Town Neck, along the shore of Cape Cod Bay, a lens of fine clay suitable for brick-making was discovered, perhaps as early as 1790 when construction of houses and mills picked up in earnest. Russell … Continue reading

Posted in Archaeology, Articles, History of Sandwich | Leave a comment

The Titus Clock

In 1749, Reverend Abraham Williams became pastor at the First Parish Meeting House, bringing with him a 19-year old black slave named Titus Winchester. There are two versions of the “Titus” legend. One is that Rev. Williams offered his slave … Continue reading

Posted in Articles, History of Sandwich | Leave a comment

The Saddle and Pillion Graves

Edmund Freeman, one of the Ten Men from Saugus and the founder of Sandwich is buried here with his wife Elizabeth. Freeman settled on his homestead about a mile and a quarter east of the present Town Hall on the … Continue reading

Posted in Cemeteries, Genealogy, History of Sandwich | Leave a comment

Plaques help mark Sandwich history

SOURCE: https://sandwich.wickedlocal.com/news/20180907/plaques-help-mark-sandwich-history By Paul Gately Posted Sep 7, 2018 at 10:57 AM The Sandwich Historical Commission’s historic marker/plaque program has reached the 154 mark, and more awards are on the way in a town where many homes are much older than … Continue reading

Posted in Articles, Historic Preservation, History of Sandwich, News, Preservation News | Leave a comment

Atlas of Boundaries of Sandwich 1901

 

Posted in Articles, History of Sandwich | Leave a comment

The Acorn

The Acorn – a steam-sail ship once owned by the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company by William F. Daley In 1825, entrepreneur Deming Jarves arrived in Sandwich to build his glass making operations, the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company (B&S). It … Continue reading

Posted in Articles, Glass Factory, History of Sandwich | 1 Comment