Category Archives: Historic Buildings

Main Street: Then and Now & A Bit About W. E. Boyden

A Bit About W. E. Boyden William Ellis Boyden was born in 1807. He ran the Plymouth/Sandwich Stage coach operation starting in 1822. After the Cape Cod Branch Railroad came to town in 1848, he formed the Cape Cod Express … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Churches, Historic Buildings | Comments Off

The Nye Museum, Old County Road and Cedarville

The Nye Grist Mill, Homestead and Grange Hall This year marks the 50th year of Nye Association ownership (actual preservation) and the 40th year being open as a museum. In 1665 the Town of Sandwich gave 12 acres in East … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Communities, Early Settlers, Historic Buildings, Industry, Schools | Leave a comment

Sandwich’s Woodshed Night Club and the Locust Grove Asylum

Skunks and racoons on the kitchen table? The house at 238 Route 6A, The Old King’s Highway, is falling down.  It’s open to the weather and the rain just pours in. In a year or so, it may be gone. … Continue reading

Posted in Early Settlers, Historic Buildings | Leave a comment

The 1885 Sand Hill School

  The area around the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company in Sandwich became known as Jarvesville, named after the factory’s founder, Deming Jarves. As the number of glass factory workers grew, the company built housing for them as well as … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Cemeteries, Glass Factory, Historic Buildings, Schools | Comments Off

Aerial Views of Town Center

4 – Sandwich Card & Tag Co. 5 – G. Howland’s Lumber Yard 6 – Town Hall 7 – Sandwich Casino 8 – High School 10 – Sandwich Academy 14 – Novelty Block 15 – Central House 16 – Post … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Churches, Communities, Early Settlers, Historic Buildings, Schools | Comments Off

Town Hall Through the Years

In this John Warner Barber drawing from 1839, Town Hall, built in 1834, is prominently displayed. From Sandwich historian Russell Lovell: “This is the only view found showing the early Calvinistic chapel on the site of the present First Church of … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Historic Buildings | 1 Comment

The Story of the “Old Titus” Clock

In 1749, Reverend Abraham Williams became pastor at the First Parish Meeting House, bringing with him a 19-year old black slave named Titus Winchester.  There are two versions of the “Titus” legend. One is that Rev. Williams offered his slave … Continue reading

Posted in Cemeteries, Churches, Early Settlers, Historic Buildings | Comments Off