Posted Jun 06, 2013 @ 08:00 AM
The Sandwich Historical Commission has unanimously approved distinctive markers for five more homes that help define the town’s architectural look and family histories.
A marker will be attached to a Greek revival home at 13 Liberty St. built circa 1850 by an Irish immigrant who worked at the Boston and Sandwich glassworks.
A home at 127 Main St. is also being recognized. It is on the hill across from the Sandwich Glass Museum and was built in 1880 by an English immigrant. Barnstable County Special Sheriff C. Jeffrey Perry now owns the property.
A house at 6 Water St. is also being honored. It is the William Diedering III home, which combines Victorian architectural style with Greek revival flourishes.
The home of Charles and Nancy Curci at 390 Route 6A will also receive a plaque. It was constructed circa 1742 by Samuel Wing. There has been some historical commission discussion about names to be inscribed on the plaque. The discussion will continue with the owners.
A home at 8 State Street was built by Richard Wood, an English immigrant who worked at the glass works. It will also receive a plaque. The structure is a half-Cape with a two-room addition.
Votes to recognize these properties brings to 130 the total of historical markers awarded by the historical commission. The markers cost about $80 each and are affixed to the front of selected homes.
Follow us: @pgatelyCourier on Twitter | 302746019793793 on Facebook